Master the essential medical-surgical nursing content you’ll need for success on the Next Generation NCLEX® Exam (NGN) and safe clinical practice! Medical-Surgical Nursing: Concepts for Interprofessional Collaborative Care, 10th Edition uses a conceptual approach to provide adult health knowledge and help you develop the clinical nursing judgment skills that today’s medical-surgical nurses need to deliver safe, effective care. "Iggy" emphasizes three emerging trends in nursing ― interprofessional collaborative care, concept-based learning, and clinical judgment and systems thinking ― trends that will ground you in how to think like a nurse and how to apply your knowledge in the classroom, simulation laboratory, and clinical settings. A perennial bestseller, "Iggy" also features NCLEX Exam-style Challenge and Mastery questions to prepare you for success on the NGN!
- Consistent use of interprofessional terminology promotes interprofessional collaboration through the use of a common healthcare language, instead of using isolated nursing-specific diagnostic language.
- UNIQUE! Enhanced conceptual approach to learning integrates nursing concepts and exemplars, providing a foundation in professional nursing concepts and health and illness concepts, and showing their application in each chapter.
- Unparalleled emphasis on clinical reasoning and clinical judgment helps you develop these vital skills when applying concepts to clinical situations.
- Emphasis on QSEN and patient safety focuses on safety and evidence-based practice with Nursing Safety Priority boxes, including Drug Alert, Critical Rescue, and Action Alert boxes.
- Direct, easy-to-read writing style features concise sentences and straightforward vocabulary.
- Emphasis on health promotion and community-based care reflects the reality that most adult health care takes place in environments outside of high-acuity (hospital) settings.
- NEW! Strengthened conceptual approach with data-driven Concept and Exemplar selections adds the concepts of pain, inflammation, and infection, and presents Exemplar disorders with a full nursing-process format and extra depth to help prepare you for the Next Generation NCLEX® Exam (NGN).
- NEW and UNIQUE! Enhanced focus on clinical judgment and systems thinking ensures alignment with the NCSBN Clinical Judgment Model and emphasizes the six cognitive skills you’ll need for effective clinical judgment, for the NGN, and for safe clinical practice.
- NEW and UNIQUE! Emphasis on NGN preparation includes chapter-opening Learning Outcomes and chapter-ending Get Ready for the NCLEX Examination! sections, plus NCLEX Examination Challenge questions and new chapter-ending Mastery Questions, with an answer key in the back of the book and on the companion Evolve website.
- UNIQUE! Interprofessional collaborative approach to care views medical and nursing management through the lens of the nursing process and the NCSBN Clinical Judgment Model and aligns with the Interprofessional Education Collaborative (IPEC) Core Competencies for Interprofessional Collaborative Practice.
- NEW! Emphasis on need-to-know content provides a solid foundation for beginning nurse generalists, including only the most important patient problems for each medical condition, with streamlined chapters and concise coverage of nursing skills for preoperative and postoperative care.
- NEW! Updated content throughout reflects the latest national and international evidence-based guidelines and protocols.
- NEW! Improved learning resources on Evolve are thoroughly updated and closely integrated with the textbook.
- NEW! Interprofessional Collaboration boxes highlight how the nurse collaborates with other members of the healthcare team.
- NEW! Ethical/Legal Considerations boxes address dilemmas that medical-surgical nurses face related to technological changes and socioeconomic disparities.
- NEW! Increased emphasis on home care, health promotion, and community-based care reflects the ongoing shift of care from hospitals to the home environment.
- NEW! Updated illustrations include new anatomy and physiology images, procedure images, and disorder photos.
- NEW! Updated drug tables are designed for quick reference and the use of drug trade names is eliminated for better alignment with the NGN.
- NEW! Coverage of opioid use disorder is updated to reflect the opioid crisis in the U.S.
- NEW! Content on personal safety and preparedness for mass casualty events has been expanded to equip you for the realities of healthcare today.
- NEW! Key terms and definitions at the beginning of each chapter give you advance familiarity with essential terminology.
- NEW! Revised Key Points align closely with Learning Outcomes and each includes a QSEN or Clinical Nursing Concept "tag" to maximize your study efficiency.
Master the essential medical-surgical nursing content you’ll need for success on the Next Generation NCLEX® Exam (NGN) and safe clinical practice
Donna Ignatavicius is nationally recognized as an expert in nursing education and medical-surgical/gerontological nursing and has a wealth of experiences as a nurse educator, clinical nurse specialist, and administrator for over 40 years. Currently, she provides curriculum consultation and presentations for nursing faculty on topics such as concept-based curriculum, assessment of learning methods, and active learning strategies through her consulting company, DI Associates, Inc. Additionally, she is the primary author of numerous articles and books, including Medical-Surgical Nursing: Concepts for Interprofessional Collaborative Care, 10th ed. (2021) and her new student workbook, Developing Clinical Judgment for Professional Nursing and the Next-Generation NCLEX-RN® Examination. In 2007 she was inducted as a fellow into the prestigious Academy of Nursing Education (ANEF) for her national contribution to the field of nursing education. In 2016 she obtained her Certified Nurse Educator® (CNE) credential; in 2020 she obtained her Academic Clinical Nurse Educator (CNEcl) credential.